ChristianConnection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Place for Fellowship and Fun

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's on your mind?

Go down 
+19
PinkSweetart
Amber.ly
Rayofsun
mina
Ninzae
Ethnog
TX_CO_Matt
Paulie079
Hadassah
Toro
Spunkn
OneHappyCookie
Squeakers
Dandelions in the Rain
Strider1002
wannaberocker
Apricity
Miss Spaulding
Jess9450
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage

What's on your mind? - Page 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 2:46 pm

My friend Alicia's encounter at work last night:

Last night, at work:

Alicia: Are you ladies ready to order?

Little girl: (About three years old. SO cute. Wearing a pink princess dress, complete with a purse filled with Disney princess figurines) Yes. I. Am. I want chicken nuggets.

Her mother: Haha no, honey, tell her what you REALLY want.

Little girl: Oh yeah. I want a hot dog.

Alicia: Would you like anything on your hot dog, sweetie?

Little girl: Yes.

(Pause for lots of good coloring on her placemat)

Mom: Honey, tell her what you want on the hot dog.

Little girl: Ok. I want chicken nuggets on it.
Back to top Go down
OneHappyCookie

OneHappyCookie

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Spent the ride home from church thinking about how easy it can be to accidentally offend someone or make them feel unwelcome in the church.

There is a wonderful lady who came into the library when she was visiting and I hooked her up with a library card. We talked about books, churches, and I gave her a good selection of edifying texts.

Apparently she had come in on another Sunday when I wasn't around and a couple of our volunteers treated her in a way that made her feel unwelcome in the library. Sad

After having talked with this woman the first time about her experiences, and the fact she pointed out one of the people who had made her feel unwelcome. I've got a good idea about what happened.

The person she pointed out is a very kind person. She can also sometimes say things that come off the wrong way. She's sort of to the point about things. I can be this way too, so I totally get it. She's more reserved about expressing her feelings.

The person checking out the books. She comes across as being sensitive. She wants a church family, seems to need it, where she feels nurtured and loved. She hasn't had an easy life and just seems to need a place where things can be...softer.

So, I think I can see why they didn't "hit it off"...maybe I should investigate instead of guessing that this is the situation. Unless the woman expresses her concern again or I witness anything that comes across as rude or harsh...I think I'll let it go.
Back to top Go down
TX_CO_Matt
TX_CO_Matt

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 5:54 pm

Excellent sermon and church this morning. I'm excited that all of my friends are starting to come back. This town is coming back to life.
Back to top Go down
Dandelions in the Rain

Dandelions in the Rain

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 6:36 pm

Music 
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/jazzflute05
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 7:14 pm

There always seems to be outrage over something. I think some people just like to be outraged.
Back to top Go down
http://rjbooks.wordpress.com/
OneHappyCookie

OneHappyCookie

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 7:40 pm

Maybe I should start my photo food log again.
It was a bunch of fun and really helped me keep track.
Back to top Go down
Miss Spaulding

Miss Spaulding

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 8:22 pm

Whoa. Just woke up from a 4 1/2 hour nap. :shock: 
Back to top Go down
http://sharonbaron-greenlikethecolor.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 9:07 pm

^lucky. I couldn't nap to save my life for work tonight. I'll be fine though.
Back to top Go down
TX_CO_Matt
TX_CO_Matt

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 9:21 pm

Miss Spaulding wrote:
Couldn't stop yawning in church this morning.
Miss Spaulding wrote:
I'm sensing a connection here.
Back to top Go down
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 10:05 pm

Miss Spaulding wrote:
Epic nap!
Back to top Go down
Toro

Toro

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 10:21 pm

Miss Spaulding wrote:
Suspect BAH! I call that a full nights rest. Razz
Back to top Go down
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 10:25 pm

Toro wrote:
Miss Spaulding wrote:
That explains a lot about you Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Miss Spaulding

Miss Spaulding

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 10:53 pm

Toro wrote:

Oh my...

Actually, I've often felt most energized when I've gotten only a about 4 hours of sleep.
Back to top Go down
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 11:02 pm

I've been reluctant to give money at church because I don't have a job. It's tough to part with it because I don't know if I'll have any coming in. BUT, I need to remember that it came from God, and I should give it back to Him in faith.
Back to top Go down
wannaberocker

wannaberocker

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 11:11 pm

grrr long day at work tomorrow. 9:00 am to 8:00 pm , sad face.
Back to top Go down
Dandelions in the Rain

Dandelions in the Rain

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 11:16 pm

I think I'll go on a bike ride.
Back to top Go down
Miss Spaulding

Miss Spaulding

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 12:14 am

I'm very, very hesitant to share anything about my 'online friends' with my family, and especially with my mother. I usually get the giggly response from my family with the 'that's nice but kind of weird' look along with it. And I feel such anxiety whenever my mom 'questions' me with suspicion and concern about any one of my online friends, obviously assuming y'all are all serial killers. So basically, because of this, I've shared little to nothing about my online friendships with anyone in my family, and feel I'll never get to meet anyone of y'all due to my mother viewing such a meet as me being a 14-year-old off to meet some old dude in a dark alley who will only rape and murder me. ...Ugh.

I understand the suspicion. I understand the concern. However: everyone and their brother is online in this day in age, and that includes any person you may meet IRL. Just because you're interacting with an individual 'in person' doesn't make that person completely and utterly trustworthy. For crying out loud, let's all take into account a particular man who's acquaintance's in his life (and not via the internet, mind you) all described him as 'such a nice guy'........meanwhile in this particular man's life, who, by the way, was serial killer Ted Bundy, was murdering women left and right under everyone's very noses. ...You don't fully know a person, and it makes no difference whether or not this person is someone you know over the internet or IRL. The dangers are just the same.

I suppose my mother is as internet savvy as the next woman around her age, but her mindset of the internet is still very old fashioned and untrustworthy of it. Part of me doesn't blame her, but I just wish she'd stop looking at me like I'm still 12-years-old. Just because my views of online friends is vastly different than hers doesn't mean that I'm about to just fork over my name, address, social security #, and any other jeopardizing information...such as, "Oh, and by the way. I'll be home alone tonight."

Because, you know...if I'm not one extreme, than I must be the other, right? Oi.
Back to top Go down
Dandelions in the Rain

Dandelions in the Rain

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 12:25 am

My parents are very protective of me as well. I decided last summer to meet some friends from CF in person; and my mother did ask me if they were axe murderers. Razz

I've met quite a few now... but it doesn't change the fact that my mom is very protective. I'm somewhat open with her about some of my friends I met on CF though because they are my friends.
The second time I went to meet some friends from CF I called my mom an hour before I was going to meet them to tell her where I was going - then gave her background info on each that I was going to meet (what their names were, ages, jobs, family) then assured her that I would be okay. Very Happy Then I called her before I drove home.

I don't know if that'll make you feel any better Miss Spaulding. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Miss Spaulding

Miss Spaulding

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 12:33 am

It does a little actually.

Regardless of how protective she is and how suspicious she is of my friends, I'm pretty determined to meet some of y'all in the near future. I love my parents with all my heart and I strive to honor and respect them, but I don't want to walk on eggshells any longer about my online friends. It's not right to me and it's not right to any of my friends who would like to meet me some day.

Anyway. I'm the youngest of five kids...I am the baby of the family. Maybe it just hasn't dawned on my mom yet that I'm in my mid twenties. So I think the first time I decide to meet one of my online friends I'll just break it to her like this: "So, Mom, I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm old enough to be married and bear you grandchildren. Can I meet my online friends now?"
Back to top Go down
Dandelions in the Rain

Dandelions in the Rain

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 12:46 am

hahaha if you tell her that she will be worried that you're intending to marry whoever it is you are meeting and more questions will follow. ^_^

I think it does work pretty well to try to make them feel more at ease by meeting in groups of people if possible.. or bringing someone else along.. but I guess that's not always an option
Back to top Go down
TX_CO_Matt
TX_CO_Matt

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 1:02 am

I'm more concerned with someone online stealing my identity than coming to axe murdering me. I think that's clear from the fact I share almost every personal detail about myself except my address and last name.
If someone really wanted to stalk you, it's not that complicated to reverse the IP address. I guess it gives people a sense of security to not be specific about their location Those of us who were here in the early days of this site all saw that this site knows, almost down to the street where we live.

I think I just made some people paranoid about the internet.
Back to top Go down
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 1:23 am

Miss Spaulding wrote:
I'm very, very hesitant to share anything about my 'online friends' with my family, and especially with my mother. I usually get the giggly response from my family with the 'that's nice but kind of weird' look along with it. And I feel such anxiety whenever my mom 'questions' me with suspicion and concern about any one of my online friends, obviously assuming y'all are all serial killers. So basically, because of this, I've shared little to nothing about my online friendships with anyone in my family, and feel I'll never get to meet anyone of y'all due to my mother viewing such a meet as me being a 14-year-old off to meet some old dude in a dark alley who will only rape and murder me. ...Ugh.
I'd be happy to buy your parents dinner and let them evaluate me as harshly as they want Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Miss Spaulding

Miss Spaulding

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 2:07 am

Strider1002 wrote:

I'd be happy to buy your parents dinner and let them evaluate me as harshly as they want Laughing 
And evaluated you would be. Trust me. Lol.
Back to top Go down
Apricity
Apricity

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 2:26 am

Miss Spaulding wrote:

I understand the suspicion. I understand the concern. However: everyone and their brother is online in this day in age, and that includes any person you may meet IRL. Just because you're interacting with an individual 'in person' doesn't make that person completely and utterly trustworthy. For crying out loud, let's all take into account a particular man who's acquaintance's in his life (and not via the internet, mind you) all described him as 'such a nice guy'........meanwhile in this particular man's life, who, by the way, was serial killer Ted Bundy, was murdering women left and right under everyone's very noses. ...You don't fully know a person, and it makes no difference whether or not this person is someone you know over the internet or IRL. The dangers are just the same.

I suppose my mother is as internet savvy as the next woman around her age, but her mindset of the internet is still very old fashioned and untrustworthy of it. Part of me doesn't blame her, but I just wish she'd stop looking at me like I'm still 12-years-old. Just because my views of online friends is vastly different than hers doesn't mean that I'm about to just fork over my name, address, social security #, and any other jeopardizing information...such as, "Oh, and by the way. I'll be home alone tonight."

Because, you know...if I'm not one extreme, than I must be the other, right? Oi.

You have pretty much described my situation completely! This is one thing that makes me frustrated as well. I have a hard time making friends in person, so internet has made it so much easier for me to talk to people and create friendships. I really would love to meet some people in person someday that I have met on CF and other places, but I worry my family will be completely against it. They look at me like I'm crazy when I mention having online friends. This is another reason why I rarely do video conversations on skype, since my family is around most of the time and would be unhappy if they found me talking to someone from the internet who they don't know. Ah well, I am not trying to go against their judgment, I just think that they are a bit too skeptical and worried about these things.

TX_CO_Matt wrote:
I'm more concerned with someone online stealing my identity than coming to axe murdering me. I think that's clear from the fact I share almost every personal detail about myself except my address and last name.
If someone really wanted to stalk you, it's not that complicated to reverse the IP address. I guess it gives people a sense of security to not be specific about their location Those of us who were here in the early days of this site all saw that this site knows, almost down to the street where we live.

I think I just made some people paranoid about the internet.
I think identity theft is what concerns me the most about the internet as well.

Yeah, it is very easy to find IP addresses. When I first realized this a year ago, it kind of freaked me out. But since I can't seem to keep myself off the internet, I guess I'll take the risk. I try to be careful with how much information I share, but I probably am not as careful as I should be.  
Back to top Go down
http://www.blogger.com/profile/01725274439852397673
Thunder Peel

Thunder Peel

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 3:38 am

I didn't even realize other people on the Internet were real. When did this happen?
Back to top Go down
http://lunarboulevard.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 30 Empty

Back to top Go down

What's on your mind?
Page 30 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next