ChristianConnection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Place for Fellowship and Fun

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Football... the real kind... American!

Go down 
+5
PinkSweetart
wannaberocker
Edwards1984
Toro
Strider1002
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Strider1002

Strider1002

Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 11:49 pm

Back to top Go down
http://rjbooks.wordpress.com/
Paulie079
Paulie079

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 12:26 am

Back to top Go down
Toro

Toro

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 12:22 am

Strider1002 wrote:
The North has nobody? Not even the Super Bowl champions? I'm not a Ravens fan, but... I don't see how you can disregard that little fact.
The Ravens are NOT the best in the AFC, last season they got "lucky".

I give them credit for their SB win, they DID show up to play, no doubt. BUT they are not the best. IF they had faced my Texans they would have had a much more likely chance to be knocked out of the playoffs.

Just cause they make it to the SB doesn't make them the best, it means they had the best match up in the playoffs.

Example:

My Texans, match up VERY well against the Ravens, but VERY poorly against the Pats. ( I didn't expect us to survive the Pats meet up and we surely didn't )

Ravens match up well against the Patriots, but not against my Texans.

Or another example, my Texans can beat the Colts, but so far, not when the Colts are at home.

The ONLY reason they won the SB, IMO, is because they caught the 9ers sleeping. Good on them for showing up to play and taking that opportunity and using it to their advantage, but IF that game were a bit longer when 9ers woke up, it would have likely had a different outcome.

They are good, but, I don't really worry about the Ravens.
Back to top Go down
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 12:33 am

Yes. Last year, I would have told anyone who would listen that the Ravens only win when people let them off the hook. Amazingly, all of their playoff opponents gave them too many chances to walk away with a win, and they did. For shame.
Back to top Go down
TX_CO_Matt
TX_CO_Matt

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 5:27 pm

Week 1 of Preseason is in the books! Any observations/thoughts/reflections?
Back to top Go down
wannaberocker

wannaberocker

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 12:21 am

Is it me or does Tebow Look worse than he has ever looked?

I watched his first preseason game and he was horrible. Then today against Tampa bay he was worse than last week if that's even possible. He had 1 completion for a -1 yard. Then he threw 4 balls into the dirt and to top it off he overthrew and got intercepted.

I know the kid is not the best thrower of the football. But iv never seen him play soooooooooooooooooo bad. I mean sure hes never gonna play this season or next as long as Brady is healthy. But what is up with him. The more they say "hes looking good in practice" the worse hes on the playing field.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 12:49 am

Well, you gotta ask yourself...who is Tom Brady throwing to this season? All of his top WRs and TEs are gone. So even worse, who is Tebow throwing to? Probably a group of nobodies. So I'm sure that's part of it.

The thing is...he was great in Denver, but only WHEN he was allowed to go do this thing. I remember one game against Miami in particular. They went with the coach's plan, which involved no faith in him whatsoever and Denver was down by double digits. The last few minutes of the game, Tebow took over the field and the team scored multiple touchdowns and what looked like a losing season with Kyle Orton, suddenly Denver was a playoff team, beating great defenses with the pass and the run.

You need a coach who will work with Tebow on his strengths and not try to mold him into something he's not. But I also think Tebow is being stubborn. He wants to be an NFL QB, but I really think he would be a top RB or HB with the option to throw it. He proved he could throw it in Florida. Just three different teams in three years with coaches who have no faith in him doesn't really do well in really helping you grow.
Back to top Go down
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 1:08 am

Yeah, the Broncos had a bunch of pretty amazing wins a couple seasons back when Tebow was just allowed to do his thing. But everyone wants to make him into a finesse QB who just stands there and throws passes. Not his thing.
Back to top Go down
wannaberocker

wannaberocker

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 8:21 am

Well yesterday he was just horrrrrrrible and I say that as a Tebow fan. I mean come on kid, you got a huge break playing under no pressure behind Brady. Make the most of it.
Back to top Go down
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 1:13 am

I haven't watched a PS game this week yet. How terrible of me.
Back to top Go down
TX_CO_Matt
TX_CO_Matt

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 1:36 am

Keenum should start over Schaub.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 2:44 pm

Broncos looked HORRID last night. Lots of injuries too: Wolfe, Welker and Bailey. Bailey's is the only one that looks serious though. Seahawks came to play, but Denver seemed to really just be in practice mode. I didn't wear my Broncos hat today in protest of their loss. Gotta teach them a lesson Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 7:05 pm

Awesome Sauce wrote:
I didn't wear my Broncos hat today in protest of their loss.  Gotta teach them a lesson Very Happy
Clearly you are a master of motivation Razz
Back to top Go down
Paulie079
Paulie079

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 10:37 pm

The Packers offense is going to be absolutely incredible this year. Just wait for it.

And their defense isn't looking too terrible either. They have four or five key players that they really need to get back on the field to be totally at full strength. I'm really looking forward to when that happens.

They also have a lot of depth at running back, wide receiver, tight end, inside linebacker, defensive line, and corner, which is really encouraging to see.

As far as special teams goes, everything looks great except that they need to settle the kicking competition. I'm really hoping Mason Crosby will get back to being his old self. He was 3-for-3 last night, which was a great sign.
Back to top Go down
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 2:06 am

I'm really liking the Seahawks lately. They're fun to watch. And good! Also the Redskins with RG3. And the Niners, for that matter...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 12:28 pm

The Seahawks are dirty. I think they'll be a hated team this year. It was preseason and they were taking dirty hits.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 11:48 pm

Well, Von Miller is suspended for 6 games now instead of 4. Yet, no one is saying why. They say he didn't take performance enhancing drugs, nor was he positive for recreational drugs. So why has he been suspended? It makes no sense.

That, on top of several major injuries, I think Denver will have a rough first quarter of the season.
Back to top Go down
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 1:31 am

Awesome Sauce wrote:
The Seahawks are dirty.  I think they'll be a hated team this year.  It was preseason and they were taking dirty hits.  
I'm going to watch that game tonight, so we will see Very Happy 

The only team I know for sure is dirty is Baltimore, and that's because I've seen so many of their games and it's an obvious pattern. And of course we know the Saints were dirty, at least, for a while.
Back to top Go down
Paulie079
Paulie079

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 6:08 pm

There's a difference between dirty and mean. The Ravens have never seemed dirty to me, although perhaps they would if I had a reason not to like them (aka they were playing a team in my division).

I remember when the Vikings used to be a bit of a dirty team but they haven't been so much the last several years. And the Lions are just undisciplined, except for Ndamukong Suh, who is probably the dirtiest player in the league. As a team, they had three personal fouls called on them in the first half of their preseason game against the Browns last weekend.

In other news, I'm going to the Seattle-Green Bay preseason game this Friday up at Lambeau. I was going to be driving up to Wisconsin for a Saturday wedding anyways, so I thought I would make a weekend of it. If there was ever a preseason game that had some hype to it, it would be this one after last year's Fail Mary.
Back to top Go down
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 1:16 pm

Okay, so, are we going to see a lot of leg injuries now, because players aren't allowed to hit 'em high so much?

I don't even care anymore. Let them get hurt. Let the commish try to take the violence out of an inherently violent game. This is why we can't have nice things, because people want to have their cake and profit from it too.
Back to top Go down
wannaberocker

wannaberocker

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 1:19 am

Strider1002 wrote:
Okay, so, are we going to see a lot of leg injuries now, because players aren't allowed to hit 'em high so much?

I don't even care anymore. Let them get hurt. Let the commish try to take the violence out of an inherently violent game. This is why we can't have nice things, because people want to have their cake and profit from it too.
There are groups in America that would like to see Football , hockey and any contact sport banned completely. Its ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 1:22 am

wannaberocker wrote:

There are groups in America that would like to see Football , hockey and any contact sport banned completely. Its ridiculous.
Some people think it's their job to babysit every other human being on the planet. My response: babysit yourself!
Back to top Go down
TX_CO_Matt
TX_CO_Matt

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 4:29 pm

wannaberocker wrote:
Strider1002 wrote:

Strider1002 wrote:
wannaberocker wrote:

Some people think it's their job to babysit every other human being on the planet. My response: babysit yourself!
Seriously though. I think there's a line between encouraging safe tackling and downright trying to police it. I was taught in junior high to NEVER go head first, and NEVER aim for above the shoulders. If you broke that rule, you'd sure would know you messed up. It's football, heck, it's sports, injuries are going to happen...our catcher tore his ACL during a game.  
Also, accidents happen, you can't always avoid a head collision, but NFL is stupid and fines that over a clearly dirty play that results in a season-ending leg injury. Secondly, you can't always tell as a ref in real time if was helmet to helmet or helmet to shoulder, I think that rule needs to be re-written to where it almost to be a blatant contact to be called. What the NFL tried to do was make a very complex problem have a simple solution that resulted in the league looking ridiculous.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 7:13 pm

I was taught to wrap up tackle. What happened to that?? All players care about are the big hits. And as fast and big as these players are, every hit is equivalent to a car accident. Going for the big hit not only hurts other players and is extremely dangerous, it's sometimes not very effective at all, as players go all in and miss. Wrap up tackling is safe and effective.
Back to top Go down
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 7:55 pm

Well, there was a time when adults were free to do what they wanted with their bodies. That time seems to have passed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Football... the real kind... American!   Football... the real kind... American! - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Football... the real kind... American!
Page 4 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next