ChristianConnection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Place for Fellowship and Fun

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.

Go down 
+9
anewhope
Rayofsun
Strider1002
Miss Spaulding
Toro
Bristecom
Dandelions in the Rain
Spunkn
Ethnog
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ethnog

Ethnog

Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  Empty
PostSubject: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 10:40 pm

What are some of your routines?

In this thread we can talk about exercises we did and how we feel. It is also for encouraging each other in our fitness goals, or talk about whatever we want in our journey to get healthy and STRONG!
Back to top Go down
Spunkn

Spunkn

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 10:41 pm

Chase after Siberian Husky. That's my routine right now Wink
Back to top Go down
Ethnog

Ethnog

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Better then me, I have not done anything since last sunday.
I didn't even go on a walk with Lucky.
Tonight after my parents leave for their party I'll go to the gym.
Its just been one of those weeks.
Back to top Go down
Dandelions in the Rain

Dandelions in the Rain

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 10:56 pm

My goal is to get back a routine (minimum 1-2 days a week) and to not give up. It's summer and it's hot out. Sometimes I just don't feel like getting out in the heat for a bike ride.
I took a month break from biking (because of a crazy busy schedule) but started again this week.
Around a month or so ago my martial arts class ended also when my teacher moved and I haven't decided if I should keep practicing what I know.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/jazzflute05

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 11:02 pm

I spent over two hours at the gym today rowing and doing weights, and that was after a 2 mile walk this morning. My leg is healing, I think (its fooled me before, so I'm taking it easy), which makes me happy.

But now I'm exhausted
Back to top Go down
Bristecom

Bristecom

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 11:30 pm

I try to at least ride my bike every day (except on rainy or cold/winter days). I also do push ups, sit ups, and lift some weights almost every day. Plus, I work out my fingers by typing for hours. Razz 
Back to top Go down
Toro

Toro

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 11:53 pm

My goal is simple, eat, eat, eat and eat, to the point of feeling like I am going to explode.

In between those meals, I drink a shake high in Protein, Calories, Fat and Carbs. Estimated 111/1447/23/201 each. (Try to fit in two a day, but some times work doesnt allow it. )

I am looking to bulk so I am not doing to much cardio, my workouts are simple.

I do 8-10 standing bi-cep curls, immediately followed by sitting curls. Then I work the sides of my arms... then immediately do the same thing with half the weight. Then I work triceps with a dumbbell, immediately followed by doing inverted pushups where my feet are elevated about 3-4 feet to increase the amount of weight on my arms. I repeat 3-4 sets

I started riding a stationary bike for 20 mins on a high setting and 25 at a medium setting. (Im not running or riding in Houston humidity) but Im not doing that any more as I am trying to put on pounds, I need those carbs, protein, calories etc. for muscle building and separate energy sources. When I gain about 20 pounds I will increase my cardio again, Im thinking when I get to my goal I would like to focus on Isometrics and Callisthenics instead of my heavy lifting to stay tone. Maybe even yoga to keep my mobility. No use in putting on muscle if I lose flexibility. But then, I am a procrastinator. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Spunkn

Spunkn

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 12:05 am

I was trying to bulk up for a while, but I've pretty much given up on it.  My body type just fights against me hardcore and I don't have the time to do all the research, money to hire someone who actually knows what they're talking about when helping someone like me, and I noticed when I started worrying so much about it, I'd get depressed when I was trying to gain weight and I just ended up losing it.  

I'd still like to get in shape more than I am, and maybe gain some more weight at some point, but other than that, I'm fine with where I'm at I think.

Now I'll wait for someone else to say "I wish I had your problem!" Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 12:10 am

Spunkn wrote:
I was trying to bulk up for a while, but I've pretty much given up on it.  My body type just fights against me hardcore and I don't have the time to do all the research, money to hire someone who actually knows what they're talking about when helping someone like me, and I noticed when I started worrying so much about it, I'd get depressed when I was trying to gain weight and I just ended up losing it.  

I'd still like to get in shape more than I am, and maybe gain some more weight at some point, but other than that, I'm fine with where I'm at I think.

I wish I had your problem. Happy? Wink

No, I know enough people who struggle to gain weight that I know it can be as frustrating as those who struggle to lose it.
Back to top Go down
Miss Spaulding

Miss Spaulding

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 12:28 am

Spunkn wrote:

I wish I had your problem... what? It's true.

Personally, I think your weight looks just fine. Some men are just tall and lean and that's okay.
Back to top Go down
http://sharonbaron-greenlikethecolor.blogspot.com/
Dandelions in the Rain

Dandelions in the Rain

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 12:30 am

Spunkn wrote:

Well the best thing that worked/works for me was just to try my best to exercise more... I had a problem where I just had no appetite and wanted to gain weight (not bulk up though Very Happy ).
I think exercise helps to not be depressed as much as well.

Last edited by Dandelions in the Rain on Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ethnog

Ethnog

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 12:31 am

Yes, I think it looks fine too and there is nothing to worry about at all.

Speaks the person who thinks she needs more changes.
Back to top Go down
Toro

Toro

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 12:35 am

Spunkn wrote:

Everyone can bulk, it is simply an issue of what you intake into your diet.

I also gain weight very difficultly. So much so, I hadn't worked out in about 10 years and while I was out of shape, my body wasn't out of control, I still had some resemblance of a 6 pack.

Yet since I did "homework" and put that knowledge to work, I have gained about 20 and change pounds in something like 8 months (mostly upper body, some of it is undeniably fat spread around, but for someone that doesnt even gain fat easily.... it says what I am doing is working.

Carbs are one thing you likely need to increase, I believe that was the key for my body.

In my homework I have found there are three body types (most everyone falls somewhere in between 2 of the 3) Ectomorphs (skinny people) Mesomorph (Naturally athletic and toned) and Endomorph.

High Carbs. tend to help Ectos.

A balance for Mesos

High protein low carbs for Endomorphs.

I am no professional but thats just a bit of what I have picked up.

We cant all be the Hulk because our frames will not hold up to the strain, but.... you can put muscle on the frame God gave you. You just have to find the right diet and workout.

If you are extreme ectomorph, chances are you need to workout heavy weights low reps (as high as you can go while reaching 8-10 while keeping proper form), longer rest periods between sets.

I have gained 60 pounds, 40 in my 20s when I worked out and 20 since I started working out again this year.

little_tigress wrote:
I wish I had your problem. Happy? Wink

No, I know enough people who struggle to gain weight that I know it can be as frustrating as those who struggle to lose it.

Yes, it is, everyone has told me "You are so blessed" For a guy, eating 200 pounds of food and losing 20 pounds is a curse, not a blessing.

Last edited by Toro on Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Spunkn

Spunkn

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 12:37 am

Most of my issues with it go back to high school where I was one of the smallest kids in school. Naturally if you're one of the smaller kids you got picked on. Luckily though I was smart enough to avoid most of it because I got smart about how to deal with jerks / bullies but other kids were not so fortunate. But it still left impressions in my mind along with other things that I wasn't normal because I was so much smaller.

It's just an issue I've dealt with over the years, but I've gotten much better at accepting it.

I'm in not too bad of shape now, but I could also put a little more effort into it and be in even better shape.
Back to top Go down
Dandelions in the Rain

Dandelions in the Rain

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 12:43 am

Spunkn wrote:
Most of my issues with it go back to high school where I was one of the smallest kids in school.  Naturally if you're one of the smaller kids you got picked on.  Luckily though I was smart enough to avoid most of it because I got smart about how to deal with jerks / bullies but other kids were not so fortunate.  But it still left impressions in my mind along with other things that I wasn't normal because I was so much smaller.

It's just an issue I've dealt with over the years, but I've gotten much better at accepting it.  

I'm in not too bad of shape now, but I could also put a little more effort into it and be in even better shape.  

Growing up I've definitely noticed several kids getting picked on for that. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 12:49 am

Dandelions in the Rain wrote:
Spunkn wrote:

Well the best thing that worked/works for me was just to try my best to exercise more... I had a problem where I just had no appetite and wanted to gain weight (not bulk up though Very Happy).
I think exercise helps to not be depressed as much as well.

yes, exercising is good for depression and frustration and a whole myriad of negative emotions.

I think its saved me a couple of times this year honestly.
Back to top Go down
Dandelions in the Rain

Dandelions in the Rain

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 12:51 am

little_tigress wrote:

yes, exercising is good for depression and frustration and a whole myriad of negative emotions.

I think its saved me a couple of times this year honestly.

A hike/walk outside helps with sanity as well, in my experience.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 12:53 am

Totally! Its so relaxing. Something about being in nature and all the fresh air just calms you right down and makes you feel so good.
Back to top Go down
Miss Spaulding

Miss Spaulding

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 12:56 am

^ YES.

Horseback riding. Yahoo 
Back to top Go down
http://sharonbaron-greenlikethecolor.blogspot.com/
Dandelions in the Rain

Dandelions in the Rain

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 12:58 am

Miss Spaulding wrote:
^ YES.

Horseback riding. Yahoo 

Yeah! ^_^
Back to top Go down
Bristecom

Bristecom

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 2:18 am

I find I can do so much more when I exercise with someone. For example, when I skate around by myself, I always feel like I get tired real quick. But when I went with my friend, we would go for hours and I felt like I could still keep going.

So that's another thing I look for in a spouse - she has to be active and want to do things with me. But she can't be an Olympic athlete who is obsessed with exercise and calls me a sissy girl when I can't keep up with her. Razz 
Back to top Go down
Dandelions in the Rain

Dandelions in the Rain

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 2:47 am

I've noticed that too, it's so much more fun to exercise with someone else. When I go on bike rides with friends or family I always go farther and it takes longer to get bored. ^_^
It's much more motivating to go with someone.
Back to top Go down
Ethnog

Ethnog

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 4:08 pm

I am going to try a new routine with weights and increase the times I do them because I see better results in toning then only cardio. Cardio is great and I enjoy running and walking but it keeps me where I am rather then getting better!
Here is my post on Fitocracy:

Dumbbell Bicep Curl:
5 lb x 12 reps
5 lb x 12 reps
10 lb x 30 reps
10 lb x 30 reps
10 lb x 30 reps

Triceps Pushdown:
10 lb x 12 reps
10 lb x 12 reps
20 lb x 16 reps
20 lb x 12 reps
20 lb x 12 reps

Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press:
5 lb x 12 reps
5 lb x 12 reps
10 lb x 18 reps
10 lb x 15 reps
10 lb x 12 reps

Machine Bench Press:
10 lb x 12 reps
10 lb x 12 reps
30 lb x 12 reps
30 lb x 12 reps
30 lb x 12 reps

Body Weight Squat:
30 reps
30 reps
30 reps
30 reps

Running (treadmill):
0:23:00 || 1.5 mi || 5.5 mph || 160 BPM || 3 %
Walking (treadmill):
0:10:00 || 0.5 mi || 3 mph || 178 BPM || 10 %
0:05:00 || 0.2 mi || 2 mph || 104 BPM || 0 %

For weights the warming sets were lower at 30 seconds of rest, and the other three sets with heavier weights was 60 second rest between sets.
Also the reps change with the heavier sets because I did them till failure. I am trying to figure out a weight and set goal.
Back to top Go down
Toro

Toro

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 4:44 pm

Ethnog wrote:
I am going to try a new routine with weights and increase the times I do them because I see better results in toning then only cardio. Cardio is great and I enjoy running and walking but it keeps me where I am rather then getting better!

Well you could try to add a pound or two to your weights every week, it would keep your body from getting "used" to a set weight and always shock it into growth. The human body is naturally lazy, it doesnt want to do more than it has to. If you get used to lifting say, 50 pounds, its not just going to assume it needs to be able to lift 60 and put that muscle on, unless you "shock" it.

Doing the same weights over and over would simply force the body to change enough to grow used to that weight set. adding a pound or two will make sure it never gets comfortable. Not to mention that by doing the simple one pound addition, in one year you would be lifting 52 pounds more than if you did it the regular way.
Back to top Go down
Ethnog

Ethnog

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 4:46 pm

Oh I know that, I am just changing the routine, completely.

I can lift heavier weights then what I posted but I did them till breaking point so its a little different then doing 40lbs 3 sets and 12 reps. Does that make sense? Cause I do that all the time. I started with 15 lbs, then increased it by 5lbs each time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.    Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Exercises- Talking about our fitness goals.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ChristianConnection :: Fellowship :: Sports & Recreation-
Jump to: