ChristianConnection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Place for Fellowship and Fun

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's on your mind?

Go down 
+12
Jess9450
wannaberocker
Apricity
Paulie079
Rayofsun
Squeakers
Dandelions in the Rain
Strider1002
Miss Spaulding
Thunder Peel
Toro
TX_CO_Matt
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage

What's on your mind? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 11:02 pm

I'm not opposed to anyone dressing up. But to say I'm not being reverent before God or just don't care because I'm wearing jeans is ridiculous because that is judging my heart based on how I'm dressed and it's wrong.  If that's important to you to do, then that's awesome!  Nothing wrong with it.  But if a church kicks someone out based upon what they're dressed like, that's wrong.

Again, I worship God every day.  With my life, with my song, with prayer.  Should I dress up in the morning before reading my bible?  Or before praying? How about when I listen to a sermon online?  Because I'm the church.  Not some building.  The Holy Spirit resides in me.  

I just can't see how wearing a nice pair of jeans is so bad compared to khaki pants.  And to say one isn't serious or just doesn't care because of the kind of fabric they choose to wear around their legs is completely and absolutely wrong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 11:35 pm

And what's so hard about dressing up on Sundays is that not everyone can afford to buy nice dresses, slacks, dress shoes, etc. Especially when you're on the larger side. I know I only own a pair of jeans and I've had the same pair for two years. So should I just not go to church because it would cost me $300 to buy a suit? It doesn't mean one isn't respectful or reverent.
Back to top Go down
Squeakers

Squeakers

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 11:45 pm

Sauceman wrote:
And what's so hard about dressing up on Sundays is that not everyone can afford to buy nice dresses, slacks, dress shoes, etc.  Especially when you're on the larger side.  I know I only own a pair of jeans and I've had the same pair for two years.  So should I just not go to church because it would cost me $300 to buy a suit?  It doesn't mean one isn't respectful or reverent.  
Sorry to butt in on the convo here, but I just thought I'd pipe up on one thing...it doesn't have to cost you a boatload to dress nice. Salvation Army and Goodwill are your friends. Yeah, it can be hit or miss, but for the most part you can find a nice pair of slacks and a sports jacket/evening coat for a heck of a lot less than buying all new.

~~~

OMM, just got back from my concert. It went very well! A little disappointed that Bubblegum didn't make it, but I definitely thought about her while playing one of the songs. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 11:48 pm

I'm not saying you have to wear a suit... just go to Wal-Mart... or even Goodwill... and get a pair of khakis, and a shirt with a collar... it's the thought that counts.
Back to top Go down
http://rjbooks.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 11:49 pm

Walmart doesn't have my size. I gotta shop at big and tall. And everything is twice or even triple as expensive there.
Back to top Go down
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 11:57 pm

Well, fudge.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 12:05 am

it sucks to be a giant. Though it's cute when little old ladies ask me to get something for them at the store haha
Back to top Go down
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 12:09 am

Small group was nice. The couple running it is originally from Tennessee. Also there was quiche.
Back to top Go down
Squeakers

Squeakers

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 12:16 am

Sauceman wrote:
it sucks to be a giant.  Though it's cute when little old ladies ask me to get something for them at the store haha
Omigosh...that totally reminds me of one time I went to the store with my mother and bro. We were walking down an aisle and saw a little old lady trying to reach the top shelf. She happened to see my bro (who's pretty tall) and asked for his help. Of course he helped her out, but when she got her product she suddenly turned to me and winked.
"It's nice being short sometimes! Then you can have handsome tall men help you out!" she said to me with a grin. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 12:18 am

LOL that's funny. yeah it happens a lot. It's why I have a bad knee and clothes are expensive, but it's nice sometimes. I don't think I'm THAT tall though.
Back to top Go down
Dandelions in the Rain

Dandelions in the Rain

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 12:21 am

I love Jesus and He loves me and I wear jeans to church.

At my church people dress ranging from jeans to suits. Whatever they are more comfortable in.
You can look dressy in jeans.

One thing I do agree with is people should dress modestly for church.. in fact christians should dress modestly being in public at all.

I dress modestly but there are some things I would wear day to day that I would not wear in church due to modesty and not wanting to offend anyone.

I do think that people if they can should at least bathe before coming to church - but if they don't.. why should I judge them. I might not want to sit next to them though.

I guess I understand where people are coming from (I would wear a skirt to attend a wedding or funeral out of respect) though I don't really agree with requiring people to dress a certain way for church.

If I was visiting a church that required it's members/visitors to dress up then I would be less inclined to want to go. I would feel self conscious about the way I'm dressing and I don't really see how that is a good thing. When there are a lot more important things to be thinking about than how fancy people look.

I don't know why but I have a feeling of dejavu making this post. Though I usually don't make such posts. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/jazzflute05

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 12:28 am

It's a good post Dandy.  Thank you for sharing.  I agree.  I guess it's just the way some people are raised.  They were always told it's a reverence thing.  But how much time do we spend with God in person?  Worshiping?  Praising?  Do we always have to dress up for those moments?  

We are the body of Christ.  We are the church.  Wherever 2 or more are gathered in His name is a congregation and He's in our midst.  It can be a family sitting around a table for a bible study or a couple friends praying together.  Not some building.  There shouldn't be a dress code.  There shouldn't be anyone saying you don't care about God or aren't trying if you wear jeans.

All that is, is tradition on your part.  It's not biblical.  If it was biblical, then I can understand taking the high road on that, but it's not.  My church likes to have that close family feel and make everyone welcome, regardless of what they're wearing. If it makes you feel more religious, then that's fine.  But there's nothing that says God cares either way as long as you aren't causing another to sin.  

So all I'm saying is that it's very hurtful to think someone doesn't care when they may not be able to afford dressing nice or their church culture is different from yours.
Back to top Go down
Miss Spaulding

Miss Spaulding

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 2:00 am

Maybe a little of it has to do with how we are raised, but that's not the whole reason. Also, I never said that someone is conciously choosing not to be reverent in church by dressing casually. It's more of an unconcious thing. And people who are of the same mind as I am on this subject are always given the same argument as you're presenting here, Tony. You take my opinion of this and run with it to the farthest extreme when I don't mean it that way. I've never once thought that I'm more 'religious' than those who dress ultra-casual in church because I'm dressed up myself. Perhaps there is a person out there like this, but it's not me.

Squeaks is absolutely right about finding dressy clothing for cheap. I know that there are a few cases that are the exception, such as yours, Tony. That is understandable. One is perfectly capable of dressing 'up' when they're wearing a pair of jeans. I do it all the time. I'm also not one of these people who think women must only wear skirts and dresses in church...trust me...I'm not. I couldn't care less if a woman wears dress slacks in church.

Where would you personally draw the line, Tony? What exactly would be too casual for you? I'm honestly curious. I'm sorry, but I've been to more 'casual' or 'come as you are' churches, and I'll tell ya...I've been very appalled at what I've seen. Shorts on girls that barely cover their butts (which will ultimately attract the eyes of men like a magnet when they walk down the aisle to their seat), cleavage hanging out, sheer tops with bras and corsets (yes, corsets O_O yikes) showing, guys literally looking like they haven't showered in days and their clothes are a crumpled mess (this I've seen too many times to count)...the list goes on. Again I ask, is it really too difficult to actually put a little thought and effort into looking your 'Sunday best' for church? Is it that painstaking? And is it really considered to be such an unreasonable request? My gosh, people put more thought into looking their best for a job interview than they do when attending church.

Nobody is asking anyone to dress up as if they're on their way to the Oscars here. But I'm not kidding when I say I've been to church before and seen people come in and think..."Hmm. They must have come here straight from the beach." ...I have a problem with that. I'm sorry if it makes me sound judgemental.
Back to top Go down
http://sharonbaron-greenlikethecolor.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 5:45 am

^ im in total agreement with what you just said. thats pushing the boundry there. Christians shouldnt be dressing like that period much less at church. i suppose i got defensive when it was suggested even wearing jeans shows you dont care. i can look very nice wearing a pair of khaki shorts with a belt and nice dress shirt. i shower and shave and clean up very nicely. i only really wear pants if its winter or expected out of me. like an interview.

if i happened to come visit on a sunday and you wanted me to come to church with you and you asked me to dress nicely...i would have no issue with that. im not opposed to dressing up. its nice to do.
Back to top Go down
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 7:50 am

I don't think a church should force people to dress nicely any more than they should force them to give offering. But I would think we would want to give God our best.
Back to top Go down
Toro

Toro

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 am

It is not important HOW we go, only WHY we go.

I believe a man/woman in ratty weekend clothes looking to be closer to the Lord is better off than the man/woman in the nicest of clothes only there for the image/going through the motions.

If a church turns away those who have a true dedication to the Lord over their dress style would make me look long and hard at that church and its members.

Dressing nice is done for human/self approval, NOT for God's approval.

I will look nice, but I will NOT dress nicer than I normally do to put up a false image. If that means I don't care, then I guess on my day of judgement He will question my clothes but I doubt it will come up.
Back to top Go down
Rayofsun

Rayofsun

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 11:08 am

I survived my first set of parent teacher conferences yesterday. It is so different sitting on the other side of the table, and talking to the parents.

It's funny, no matter hoooow bad the child behaves in the classroom, there is always so many positives to tell the parents as well. I was happy that all the parents were really attentive and so proud of their kids. They should be.
Back to top Go down
Paulie079
Paulie079

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 11:40 am

Going along with the conversation being had over the past couple of pages, I guess I feel that one can wear goth-y clothes to church with a reverent and regenerate heart, while one can wear a nice suit and tie with a wicked heart. I would rather have people who are just trying to figure the Christian thing out in my church who aren't afraid to admit that they are sinful and need Jesus than people who believe that they are saved because they don't swear and dress up to cover up the real sin going on in their life that they refuse to repent of.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 11:59 am

Agreed Paulie.  I also like what Toro said about dressing up is for human/self approval.

So I really do agree with ya'll about going to church in a presentable fashion.  I personally do it because it makes me feel good. I just don't think it matters to God really and don't look down on anyone if they don't.

Last edited by Sauceman on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
TX_CO_Matt
TX_CO_Matt

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 12:06 pm

Winter is here.
Back to top Go down
Toro

Toro

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 12:28 pm

Well thanks to working later than normal yesterday. I have today off..... that along with staying awake all night. It has given me the chance to start a netflix watchathon. I never saw this show leverage before. It's been a bit predictable so far, but the Toro is intrigued enough to at least watch one more.

It also gave me a chance to hang my sword wall mount..... I didnt have any dry wall anchors so.... I pray I don't have a "Final Destination" moment and wake up to swords falling on me..... that would certainly ruin my night, day, or whatever time I would be laying under it. Nod 

I rigged it with a random piece of steel I screwed into the wall for a little saftey measure..... but.... here is hoping.... sleeping by the swords, don't mean I die by my own. What's on your mind? - Page 2 Ali_082

Also..... a moment of silence for my dearly departed butterfly knife....... I had it since I was 8 and now..... it is no more. I flipped it and flipped it readying to open a box and one of the metal flappy things broke off..... Not Fair 

I shall miss ye ole trusty box opener and general sitting around doing nothing "toy" to keep my hands busy......
Back to top Go down
TX_CO_Matt
TX_CO_Matt

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 12:33 pm

Toro wrote:
also gave me a chance to hang my sword wall mount..... I didnt have any dry wall anchors so.... I pray I don't have a "Final Destination" moment and wake up to swords falling on me..... that would certainly ruin my night, day, or whatever time I would be laying under it. Nod 

I rigged it with a random piece of steel I screwed into the wall for a little saftey measure..... but.... here is hoping.... sleeping by the swords, don't mean I die by my own. What's on your mind? - Page 2 Ali_082
It would probably end your life, not just ruin your day. I wouldn't feel safe sleeping with a sword not properly attached to a wall above me head.
Back to top Go down
Toro

Toro

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 12:39 pm

Its not above my head, its towards the foot of the bed.

Might lose a toe or cut my leg, but in all honesty. If they were to fall, I would likely be more worried about the damage to the blades than myself (they would likely fall straight down and I have about an inch or so between that side of the bed and the wall.)

The one that really could do some damage to me is pretty stubborn in its sheath (or saya if you will) so.... IF it DID open, wouldn't likely be enough to hurt me. Besides, I have rigged up more with less.

The only blade I WOULDN'T hang near my bed is one of my broad swords.... that thing wouldn't have to be sharp to hurt like crazy. Not to mention it's point is aimed down, so anything under it would be skewered..... just ask my pour acoustic.... it has a "boo boo" (Although it didn't fall because of the wall mount, it fell cause I thought it was on the mount and I let it go, I was mistaken) .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 2:27 pm

Now that I've been given the okay, I'm going to start going back to the gym and budgeting better to get healthier foods. Ramen noodles and frozen dinners have given my blood pressure a hit I'm not comfortable with. I had great momentum going and need to get back at it.
Back to top Go down
Dandelions in the Rain

Dandelions in the Rain

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 4:49 pm

It's rainy today and my siblings came over and set up my wii. We're gonna have in n out for lunch. ^_^ Good day so far.

As far as the clothes thing for church I do think it is for human approval. And that isn't nessarily bad except when we value what others think more than what God thinks.
God looks at the heart. He doesn't value us more or less based on clothing.

I'm slow to post. Sorry for bringing this up again.
I do dress for church in consideration for others. So staying extra modest though not really fancy. When I was younger we'd wear dresses to church every Sunday. I remember one Sunday when I was younger we invited my grandma to my church and she wore dress pants because that's what she had. It wasn't until later years that wearing more casual clothes at my church became a common thing. People still wear suits though. If I went to a church that casual dress wasn't really done then I would somehow get some nicer clothes to dress up with. But honestly I'd be doing it for the other people - to fit in and not offend.

Last edited by Dandelions in the Rain on Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/jazzflute05
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's on your mind?   What's on your mind? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What's on your mind?
Page 2 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next