ChristianConnection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Place for Fellowship and Fun

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Homeschooled

Go down 
+13
Apricity
Strider1002
Marycita
TX_CO_Matt
mina
Hadassah
Edwards1984
Miss Spaulding
Amber.ly
OneHappyCookie
Toro
PinkSweetart
Dandelions in the Rain
17 posters

Were you ever homeschooled?
Yes
Homeschooled Vote_lcap38%Homeschooled Vote_rcap
 38% [ 8 ]
No
Homeschooled Vote_lcap62%Homeschooled Vote_rcap
 62% [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 21

AuthorMessage
Dandelions in the Rain

Dandelions in the Rain

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 3:27 am

I noticed a few people said they were homeschooled and I'm curious how many on here were.
How many years were you homeschooled?
Were you a part of a homeschool group or through a public or private school?
Did you enjoy it?
Would you homeschool your own kids?
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/jazzflute05
PinkSweetart

PinkSweetart

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 3:45 am

I was homeschooled since the second grade (I was in a private school before that) and all through high school. I wasn't part of any group it was just me and my sister. It wasn't until my brother started school that we realized there were "after school" programs for home school kids where you could play sports and different stuff like that. But it was too late for me and my sister to join it.

I enjoyed certain aspects of it. I got to work on my own pace and got taught about self-discipline and getting my work done on time. I liked how it kept me from some of the temptations that I would have otherwise dealt with in public/private school. But I wish I had a better education and more opportunities to socialize because it took me a while to open up. AND my math skills are HORRIBLE, so I think some extra help would have been nice. Although, my sister and brother are both really good at math, so I don't know what happened to me. lol

I don't think I want to homeschool my kids. If I do it might just be for their early years and then maybe I'll yank them out, but I'd have to make sure that they would still get a good educate and can still join other programs where they'll be around people.
Back to top Go down
Toro

Toro

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 7:14 am

No I am a product of the public school system.... BEWARE!! Laughing 
Back to top Go down
OneHappyCookie

OneHappyCookie

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 8:27 am

I wonder how many people went to public school and also had educational lessons at home.

That was sort of what my mom did. Never missed an opportunity for an educational experience.
Back to top Go down

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 8:44 am

Public school (with no lessons at home)
Back to top Go down
Amber.ly

Amber.ly

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 9:39 am

Home schooled 100%

Great education, poor opportunities to be involved in interests outside of academia. I would have loved to be on a debate team, do show choir, be on the yearbook staff, go to prom, etc.

My two younger brothers spent their last two years of high school at a public school and hated it. They said all the home schooler jokes about public schoolers were right Wink
Back to top Go down
Miss Spaulding

Miss Spaulding

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 10:17 am

I was homeschooled from the very start through graduating highschool. I enjoyed being home and being educated by my mother, but then I suppose it was all I knew. As a quiet, low-key individual without the need for social interaction like others, I always did fine in that aspect. As of now though, homeschooling has come a looong ways. There are so many more options one has amd more opportunities for social interaction.

Would I homeschool my kids? I certainly lean towards that option, so there's a good chance I might.

Last edited by Miss Spaulding on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://sharonbaron-greenlikethecolor.blogspot.com/
Edwards1984

Edwards1984

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 10:21 am

I was public schooled my whole life (not counting a few years of private schooling).

Would I home school? After my experiences in the American public education system and what I've come to learn of it and how it functions and was formed, yes most definitely, I intend to do it.
Back to top Go down
http://designofprovidence.blogspot.com
Hadassah

Hadassah

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 10:36 am

I was public schooled, my kids are public schooled and I would probably not homeschool unless I was in an area that I knew the education system was lacking or our lives were scheduled in such a way that homeschooling would make sense.

We have a friend who homeschools her kids because they are in sports year round and travel a lot. They would miss a lot of school otherwise if they went the public/private route. This way they still get an education and still participate in their sports.
Back to top Go down
mina

mina

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 10:43 am

I was not homeschooled, but my mom and dad "taught" us from a very early age. I knew how to read before entering school and any subject that I was interested in; my parents provided experiences and resources to help me learn. I never thought learning was only about just something reserved for school; it was encompassing of ALL of life.

I might homeschool; I can write curriculum. Homeschool groups don't impress me much so if I can just do it on my own with select people that might be up to my standards. We intend to put our kids in a private school for elementary. But, no matter what educational choices I make regarding my children I have full confidence that learning and education is not just something they will associate with schooling; and I feel that private, public, or home they will be well rounded, educated, and love to learn.
Back to top Go down
TX_CO_Matt
TX_CO_Matt

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 11:03 am

I was in public school, well, I went to a private school for two years. The point is that I was never really home-schooled.
Back to top Go down
Marycita

Marycita

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 11:06 am

I was in public school my whole life. Although, I didn't go to preschool, so unless you count that time as homeschooling, then I was never homeschooled.

I have every intention...and I actually excitedly look forward to, homeschooling our future children Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TX_CO_Matt
TX_CO_Matt

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 11:10 am

Would I homeschool my kids? I don't know. It would depend on what kind of co-op opportunities would be in our area, then questions about private schools, the list goes on.
Back to top Go down
Amber.ly

Amber.ly

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 11:24 am

I forgot to say if I would home school any future children.

I would if I had a very supportive husband. My dad and mom split the schooling 50/50. Which meant that yes, we did homework and school on weekends and nights. My dad was the one who wanted to home school and my mom agreed to out of respect for his passion. But because it was his driving passion, he had to be 100% involved in teaching as well as being on board with making sacrifices to do so.

I don't know how any one person could take on the burden of home schooling by themselves. I just don't see it as being a good situation- I can do math like a wizard but ask me about science and all I can tell you is that God made the earth and there my interest (and knowledge) dies. I can't teach it and I don't want to. Same with English.

I've known a million home schooling moms and all of those that try and do it on their own with no help from their spouse, or group, or church end up burnt out and their kids suffer with holes in their education. I would not suggest doing it solo.

So I guess my bottom line is if the only way to home school would be me doing it solo- I would not do it. I would enroll them in a decent local school and supplement their education at home. This of course assumes there was a decent local school. Not many of those left.
Back to top Go down

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 12:00 pm

We won't homeschool. There's no way I'm prepared to teach math or science; Puffca has neither the desire, nor the temperament for teaching our child(ren). Though I would like to do supplemental teaching at home, or at the very least, be involved with his public school education.
Back to top Go down
Strider1002

Strider1002

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 12:57 pm

The more I learn about the problems with public schools (AKA government schools), the more homeschooling looks like a good option.
Back to top Go down
http://rjbooks.wordpress.com/
Apricity
Apricity

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 3:34 pm

I was homeschooled throughout my whole childhood and teen years. I wasn't really part of any groups, although my mom made sure we spent time with other families. I am really happy that my parents chose to homeschool me. If I ever had children one day, I probably would homeschool them too. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.blogger.com/profile/01725274439852397673
Miss Spaulding

Miss Spaulding

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 3:52 pm

Just about all educational systems are geared to one type of learning skills, and those skills are not skills that belong to the extremely bright but slow learners. 'Slow learners' are people who do best working at their own pace, in their own time, otherwise they struggle very much. This is my father. He barely graduated highschool because of these setbacks (and the fact that he dealt with horrible separation anxiety from his twin brother when he was held back a grade; something people didn't recognize back then) and has loathed school ever since. Is he a dumb-dumb? Hardly. His talents and skills are too many to mention. But as I said, he loathes school because of his own nightmarish school experience as a child and youth, and could never bring himself to teach it.

My mother, a stay-at-home mom, held the fort down with all five of us children and did the homeschooling herself. This was something both of my parents agreed on...and honestly, it worked out fine. By the time I graduated, yes, my mom was ready to be done, lol. But she would do it the same way again in a heartbeat. My father has always worked very hot and laborious work. Hardcore construction type work that included hot welding. This was 5 days a week, and come the weekend there was no football and whatnot for him to enjoy his free time with. He got up early as usual and did work that needed to be done around the house and yard diligently. He had his duties, my mother had her duties. It was a mutual understanding and agreement.

Anyway! My point is this: My mother doing all the homeschooling worked fine for me and my siblings. So it can work. But I do agree that it might not be for everyone. So if you have any reservations about schooling your child(ren) on your own, then you better stop and consider if it's truly what you want to do. You must be committed.
Back to top Go down
http://sharonbaron-greenlikethecolor.blogspot.com/
Toro

Toro

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 4:00 pm

Strider1002 wrote:
The more I learn about the problems with public schools (AKA government schools), the more homeschooling looks like a good option.

This is true, if I have the means I will either private school (and be involved) or home school my child (if I ever have any)

The teachers hated me in public schools, they would make up things that would make me have to show up to court (Like one said I flipped her off when I handed in my homework for once, I got a ticket for it.... :suspect:So when I was given community service, I skipped school to serve it, they said I couldnt do that.

I said, oh yeah? Just did. My dad was okay with it because he knew that IF I had flipped her off, I would have even told him, YES, I DID. There were even teachers pets saying I didnt do anything.

They want to give me bogus tickets, I was going to hurt them with attendance.

My principle was incredibly racist and hated me as well (oddly I was white, but I hung out with people of all colors.) He said "You better get your act together boy, you see those workers out there? You arent even the right color to do that work" (There were a bunch of Hispanic men working on expanding the parking lot)

I had teachers insulting me and wondered why I didn't give a darn about their class.

My parents spent years not believing "teachers were out to get me" (I dont blame them, Id have thought the same.) until they met them all and they mentioned they were my parents.... He told me later "They really ARE after you" I said "I told you" When the teachers truly cared, I paid attention, I did homework, I TRIED because I liked the teacher and didn't want to let them down (or myself) when teachers made it hard on me, they pushed, I pushed back.

After many bad experiences, my kid will only end up in public school if I have no other options. The public school system is a joke. Not to mention how the Government is indoctrinating students these days.
Back to top Go down
Dandelions in the Rain

Dandelions in the Rain

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 5:52 pm

I was homeschooled for all but one year of elementary school; and most of jr high. When I wasn't homeschooled I was in several different private schools.. two of them I loved one I hated.
I was always involved in a homeschool group (and there was a larger homeschool group that we were also associated with); we had weekly park days for fun and physical education; field trips; school plays; a year book. A couple years in jr high a few of us homeschoolers were taught a bible doctrine class at my church. I was on a bowling team.. until jr high when I refused to be in it. Very Happy
I absolutely enjoyed homeschooling. I loved that even though we got more work done than in the regular schools we could complete it faster because we had one on one time with our teacher.
My mother was a teacher before she got married and had kids so she already knew how to teach; which was nice.
When I got to jr high I craved the extra social aspect of going to a school. (I started at a private school that wasn't good then returned to homeschooling.) I was very involved with the youth group at my church and helping with a sunday school class. But I still desired to go to a particular private school. I was able to go to that school for the 4 years of high school. I wanted to return to homeschooling my senior year but I wanted to do it through the program my high school had so that I could continue taking Spanish and Band. But they had some weird policy that didn't allow students to start that program in 12th grade so I just stayed there. Smile My siblings though reluctant at first joined that school after I did. Very Happy
I would homeschool my kids if I have that opportunity. But I would also listen to them like my parents did to me and let them go to a private or public school if they wanted more social. That is of course only if I have those choices. Sometimes you just have to go to public school. Some kids learn better at home, and some kids learn better at school. And sometimes it really depends on the subjects. Very Happy
Sorry if I rambled too much. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/jazzflute05
wannaberocker

wannaberocker

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 8:16 pm

Went to public and private schools. Never homeschooled.
Back to top Go down
Hadassah

Hadassah

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 10:17 pm

I think you just have to look at the school systems around you and see what's best. Around here a home schooled child has just about the same advantages as a public school kid. Access to duel enrollment (enrolled in both high school and college at the same time), access the all of the sports, music and art programs, and some access to some clubs and groups. I think if a high school student wants to be duel enrolled he has to be enrolled at the actual high school for at least one class. At least that's what a friend is doing. Well, my son too. He only takes one easy peasy class at the high school and the rest of the day is college.

In a different state it would be better for the child to be homeschooled or go to private school as the public school system is horrible.

So it all just depends on where you are and whatnot I think.
Back to top Go down
Squeakers

Squeakers

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 2:51 pm

Dandelions in the Rain wrote:
How many years were you homeschooled?
Were you a part of a homeschool group or through a public or private school?
Did you enjoy it?
Would you homeschool your own kids?

Yes, I was homeschooled. Smile

I was in the public schools for the first few years (up to 4th grade), and then taken out for the remaining school years.

Both. I still went to the elementary school for music lessons and to help out an old teacher and also was a part of a homeschool group that took some sports at a bible college and some science field trips.

Did I enjoy it? Honestly, no...not at first. I HATED the feeling of being separate from my friends and I actually did enjoy school...but over time I really enjoyed being at home and learning what I wanted to.

Would I homeschool my own children? I would like to...I certainly hope my future hubby wouldn't mind it.
Back to top Go down
Spunkn

Spunkn

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 5:59 pm

I'm big on homeschooling even though I wasn't.  I just think in most cases the public schools are garbage.  That's not to say I don't appreciate the efforts of teachers like Ethie who I believe make a huge difference.  I just think in -most- cases kids are getting brain washed into beliefs that go against God and truth.

Teachers are so handicapped by goverment and rules, and kids are free to get away with whatever they want. Can't upset the parents or the kids, it might ruin their self-esteem. Junk like that. It's a complete mess. That's not to say you can't come out alright if you go through public school, but I think homeschooling is way more beneficial.
Back to top Go down
Miles

Miles

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 12:08 am

I wasn't homeschooled, but it would be my first choice if I had children. At least for the first few years. My public school experience left a lot to be desired.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Homeschooled Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homeschooled   Homeschooled Empty

Back to top Go down

Homeschooled
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ChristianConnection :: Fellowship :: General Discussion-
Jump to: