ChristianConnection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Place for Fellowship and Fun

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Laptop Shopping....

Go down 
+6
Strider1002
Paulie079
Jess9450
Toro
Dandelions in the Rain
Squeakers
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Squeakers

Squeakers

Laptop Shopping.... Empty
PostSubject: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 10:14 pm

So...my lil ol' netbook is finally dying. After 4 years of heavy use, it's time I try and get a laptop that can handle some more of the things I do (2 major things would be light/moderate gaming and internet).

I've already been lookin' around my local Best Buy and I think I might have something, but it's still so daunting looking at all these computers and stuff and hoping I can get a good quality lappy for cheap (I'm aiming for under $500; with my rather small paycheck, that's about all I can afford right now).

Y'all have any thoughts/suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Dandelions in the Rain

Dandelions in the Rain

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 10:21 pm

I have a mac, but that's more than your budget. What kind of gaming do you want to do? The only suggestion I have is to check what graphics, ram, and hard drive space it has. I'm only really familiar with netbooks and those probably aren't good for gaming. The only brand I can really think of is Dell, they are usually reasonably priced and I've liked the desktop versions. If you do use it for gaming I recommend getting a cooling fan to put under it while you play.

I guess another option is to maybe make a list of laptops you are considering getting then look up reviews of them online.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/jazzflute05
Toro

Toro

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 10:43 pm

Laptop Shopping.... H71283110

I have nothing to add, I just wanted to be part of the thread. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jess9450
Admin
Jess9450

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 11:49 pm

MACBOOK PRO IS THE ONLY WAY TO GOOOOO!!!
Back to top Go down
https://cconnect.forumotion.com
Paulie079
Paulie079

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 12:46 am

Hey Squeaks, I did some computer shopping late last year, and these are a few things I gathered. First of all, my suggestion would be to get something that has at least an i5 processor and 6GB of RAM.

The second thing I would throw out there is that you tend to get what you pay for, especially if you're buying from the store, so even if it took an extra month or two of saving, you may have to extend your budget by a couple hundred dollars.
An alternative to this could be purchasing a desktop computer instead. They tend to be a lot cheaper (you could easily find a great desktop for under $500) and I think they are more durable.

Another suggestion would be to keep an eye on Craigslist each day. I did that last year and found a great desktop computer for ridiculously cheap. It was like a year-old HP desktop that the guy was selling for less than $200, so I jumped at it. Eventually I was able to sell it for more than I bought it for when I decided to get a laptop around Thanksgiving.

Which brings me to my last suggestion. If you don't find anything good on Craigslist and you can hold out until the holidays, you can find some awesome deals on computers on Black Friday or Cyber Monday. I bought my HP laptop at Best Buy for like $200 less than it usually costs, and I love it.
Back to top Go down
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 12:47 am

Macs are overrated.
Back to top Go down
http://rjbooks.wordpress.com/
Paulie079
Paulie079

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 12:47 am

^And a Macbook would be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of the $500 budget lol.
Back to top Go down
wannaberocker

wannaberocker

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 7:18 am

you can get a good very good laptop for around 500 to 700 range.
Back to top Go down
Toro

Toro

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 2:40 pm

Strider1002 wrote:
Macs are overrated.

AMEN MY BROTHA!

Preach 
Back to top Go down
Jess9450
Admin
Jess9450

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 6:51 pm

Strider1002 wrote:
Macs are overrated.

affraid :shock: Wide Eye Sput! Shock Surprise 

I cannot express my shock enough
Back to top Go down
https://cconnect.forumotion.com
Toro

Toro

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 10:58 pm

Jess9450 wrote:

affraid :shock: Wide Eye Sput! Shock Surprise 

I cannot express my shock enough

Yes, the truth usually is shocking the first time you hear it (read it) Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 11:02 pm

1) Don't get a Dell. Mad 
2) You can get a great laptop with plenty of space and power for light gaming for $300. I got one a few years ago (it was a Dell and barely gave me a year and a half, but I beat the crap out of my laptops). I wish I had gone for the Toshiba that was like $30 more and was the same computer, just better put together.

I am due for a new one myself and I think this time I will go for Alienware Cool I've always wanted one. The only issues is...they were bought out by Dell Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
Toro

Toro

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 11:07 pm

Sauceman wrote:
1) Don't get a Dell.  Mad 
2) You can get a great laptop with plenty of space and power for light gaming for $300.  I got one a few years ago (it was a Dell and barely gave me a year and a half, but I beat the crap out of my laptops). I wish I had gone for the Toshiba that was like $30 more and was the same computer, just better put together.

I am due for a new one myself and I think this time I will go for Alienware Cool I've always wanted one.  The only issues is...they were bought out by Dell Rolling Eyes 

They were over priced anyway if you ask me.

Build your own if you are talking desktop, its not hard.

You can put a system together for half the cost of a prebuilt model AND have a much better system. Thats what I will be doing for my next computer.

I have pieced this one together so many times I call it Frankenstein. (Even though that was the name of the creator not the monster, but..... people accept that as the name of the monster so I will go with it. )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 12:30 am

Mine is HP, and I got it refurbished about 3 years ago for roughly $300, its worked wonderfully for my needs.
Back to top Go down
sampa

sampa

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 10:20 pm

Squeakers, I agree with Toro. My desktop my stepdad built in 2005 has had some adjustments over the years, but I loved that I researched and designed every part for the video work I had planned but never got to. Otherwise I have a Macbook because of less maintenance. Eventually I'll get a tablet....but I'm the last for most because of funds. Get advise from gamers for your best info, you want it built well and to last.
Back to top Go down
Apricity
Apricity

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 12:07 am

I have had a Toshiba laptop the past few years, it has been working pretty well since I got it, except for that every now and then it will shut down on me instead of going to sleep when I leave it for a while, so then I have to turn it back on. But those have only been a few rare occasions. Perhaps it happens when my computer updates or something. Oh well. I don't know much about computer quality or good types, I just thought I'd throw in some of my experience with mine. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.blogger.com/profile/01725274439852397673
Squeakers

Squeakers

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 9:38 pm

@ Toro and Sampa: I've thought about a desktop, but I want something portable for the time being. I have a desktop at my disposal atm, so I'm good.

I think I finally found the laptop I want. Not exactly super powerful for gaming, but I wasn't exactly looking a specific gaming laptop. Just something I could play lightly on. I figure this oughta be good enough for now...and like I said, I have a desktop I can use, so any heavy gaming I do will be on the desktop.

Thank you for all your posts, guys! Very Happy

ETA: I can't post a link for some reason...I was gonna try and show you guys what I'm gonna get, but it won't let me....
Back to top Go down
sampa

sampa

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 10:08 pm

Awesome squeakers.:bounce: I'm glad. I remember many years ago alienware alien  was top for gaming at one time, these days I'm not sure. I've fallen out of the tech loop. Look foreward to seeing your new laptop.
Back to top Go down
Squeakers

Squeakers

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 11:00 pm

Aw, thanks, Sampa! ^__^

Aaaand from the looks of it, I'm going to get it tomorrow...I was hoping to wait one more week until I had another check in the bank, but I just checked Best Buy's website and it says '2 days only'. I'm assuming perhaps it means for the price, since it IS under $400...and it sold out in my local store, so now I gotta go about 30-45mins to another BB to get it.
Back to top Go down
sampa

sampa

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 11:10 pm

Hopefully it'll be worth it, give a call to check on the sale before going though. Blessings in your search & selection.
Back to top Go down
Squeakers

Squeakers

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 11:35 pm

Thanks, Sampa! I'm definitely going to call before I leave. *thumbsup*
Back to top Go down
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 12:50 am

Yeah, best to call, because the Best Buy 30-45 minutes from you is the smallest one I've ever seen Razz
Back to top Go down
http://rjbooks.wordpress.com/
trentlogain

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 5:19 pm

this is what i would do if i wanted to buy a laptop..

i would search craigslist for something that i know somebody would have up for sale cheap. if nothing seemed wrong with it i would buy it and immediately format whatever operating system was on it and put windows xp on it. that's what i would do if i was in the market for a laptop.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Laptop Shopping....   Laptop Shopping.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Laptop Shopping....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ChristianConnection :: Fellowship :: General Discussion-
Jump to: