ChristianConnection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Place for Fellowship and Fun

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Content in the present looking forward to the future

Go down 
+5
Toro
Thunder Peel
mina
Strider1002
Dandelions in the Rain
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Dandelions in the Rain

Dandelions in the Rain

Content in the present looking forward to the future Empty
PostSubject: Content in the present looking forward to the future   Content in the present looking forward to the future EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 5:14 pm

This morning a friend posted this article on facebook.

What is everyone's opinion on this topic?

Do you think you sometimes dwell too much on the future and what changes that may bring and aren't as content with the present?

Do you think it is a problem to just dwell on the future?

I know sometimes I always think about the future and spend less time thinking about the present. Thinking I will do this and that, and working towards something. I think that is good but I agree with the idea behind this article.

The title of this thread is kinda like how I feel we should be. Content in the present (unless something needs changing/improving that we can change) and looking forward to the future with hope. But I guess I think we need a balance of reality with our hope. Not pessimism, but just knowing that if we always look for something better than what we have we will never be content.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/jazzflute05
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: Content in the present looking forward to the future   Content in the present looking forward to the future EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 9:15 pm

Yeah, I think a lot of us act as if the "real" life is yet to come and we're just waiting for it.

I guess the answer is to start doing the things you want to do, now, and don't wait for the circumstances to improve, because they might not. I know that sounds pessimistic, but to me it's just... realistic. And "real" is what we want, right? Well... it's what I want.
Back to top Go down
http://rjbooks.wordpress.com/
Dandelions in the Rain

Dandelions in the Rain

PostSubject: Re: Content in the present looking forward to the future   Content in the present looking forward to the future EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 10:30 pm

I don't think it is pessimistic though, because realistically if there's something you want to do someday, you might just always want to do it someday and not today.

Sometimes there are things that you do want to do someday that you are just not ready for now though. Nothing wrong with waiting for that... but I guess the difference being having some kind of plan of action for the future.

For some reason this made me think of this song.

Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/jazzflute05
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: Content in the present looking forward to the future   Content in the present looking forward to the future EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 11:37 pm

Maybe things change when you're in your 30s Razz

I spent my 20s thinking about "someday," but I never got anywhere or did anything notable. Except go to grad school. "Someday" may not be tomorrow or next month or next year, but sometimes you still have to take action to get your someday to come Smile
Back to top Go down
mina

mina

PostSubject: Re: Content in the present looking forward to the future   Content in the present looking forward to the future EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 1:04 pm

I think it's okay to dream about the future.......if you are also thankful for your present condition. One should never overshadow the other. Some are so caught up in the possibilities of the future; they never fully live today. While some are so caught up in living today that they never plan or make good choices for the future. I think it's possible to be in balance with both and I think it's healthy to both look to the future and also be actively involved in today.
Back to top Go down
Thunder Peel

Thunder Peel

PostSubject: Re: Content in the present looking forward to the future   Content in the present looking forward to the future EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 8:52 pm

I spend a majority of my day in the future or off in a daydream-esque land. I should probably stop doing that but it's sooooo nice there!
Back to top Go down
http://lunarboulevard.blogspot.com/
Toro

Toro

PostSubject: Re: Content in the present looking forward to the future   Content in the present looking forward to the future EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 1:36 pm

Im kind of the opposite.

I dwell so much in the now, I often make bad choices that effect my future without much thought to it. I simply try to make the choices I feel are right and try to limit the bad ones.

The future will take care of itself if I take the right steps in the present.
Back to top Go down
Miss Spaulding

Miss Spaulding

PostSubject: Re: Content in the present looking forward to the future   Content in the present looking forward to the future EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 3:20 pm

I often think about the future but not in a serious fashion...more day-dream like. On a serious note, I really don't consider it, besides saving money 'for the future'. Lol. That's about all the consideration I make. The future is for God to know about, not us. So to fretfully prepare, worry, or eagerly set in concrete certain plans (nothing is certain) is, to me personally, very foolish and a waste of time.

I take each day as it comes. Whatever comes with each day that God throws at me, I just roll with it. That's kind of my attitude towards most things in Life.
Back to top Go down
http://sharonbaron-greenlikethecolor.blogspot.com/
Strider1002

Strider1002

PostSubject: Re: Content in the present looking forward to the future   Content in the present looking forward to the future EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 4:08 pm

Oh, yeah, worrying is mostly pointless. Except occasionally when it prompts you to prepare for something you might otherwise be unprepared for Razz
Back to top Go down
TX_CO_Matt
TX_CO_Matt

PostSubject: Re: Content in the present looking forward to the future   Content in the present looking forward to the future EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 4:54 pm

I think you can dwell too much in the future, past, or even present. I think it's a good think to be mindful of the future and planning for it, but don't make that so much focus you aren't here. I need to plan for my future, my life as an independent person is just now beginning, but I can't be so caught up in creating the future perfect life that I miss out on a wonderful college experience or vice versa.
Back to top Go down
wannaberocker

wannaberocker

PostSubject: Re: Content in the present looking forward to the future   Content in the present looking forward to the future EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 7:53 pm

I think we can spend a lot of time dreaming, that we often forget what adventures await us if we just looked around.

I think the older iv gotten the more iv realized that you cannot wait for life to happen. You have to make an effort and make it happen. YOu cant live from milestone to milestone hoping something good will come after the next milestone. Enjoy the now..

I think of it this way. Lets say a couple is dating and they long for the time they can be married and enjoy new aspects of their relationship. But, that should never take away from the joy and enjoyment of being boyfriend and girlfriend because lets be honest. That is also a very fun stage of a relationship.

My point being we can long to be married, but, that shouldn't remove our current joy or enjoyment or adventure.

So dream, but don't let your dreaming inhibit your from experiencing the joys of today.

I don't know maybe im totally off track, Its a blind post.
Back to top Go down
trentlogain

PostSubject: Re: Content in the present looking forward to the future   Content in the present looking forward to the future EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 11:10 pm

Personally, I like to keep one foot in the present and the other in the future. Being future-minded, for me, helps me to keep my eyes on goals that I want to achieve. Then I've also gotten in trouble being "too heavenly minded to be any earthly good" as well. I think there's a balance though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Content in the present looking forward to the future   Content in the present looking forward to the future Empty

Back to top Go down

Content in the present looking forward to the future
Page 1 of 1